Content is still king!
The SEO landscape has changed a lot since 2012 and Google has been working hard to ensure that the search results they provide their users are as clean as possible.
As part of this drive, they have made a lot of changes to their algorithms, which unfortunately have adversely affected many websites, with many sites losing their organic visibility and Google organic rankings.
In this post we look at ways to sustain your organic traffic and stay visible on the organic landscape.
With numerous Google updates, it is becoming apparent that big brands receive more attention when it comes to competitive terms. These brands have bigger websites and a lot of backlinks which help keep them near the top. For small and medium businesses it is difficult to receive additional organic traffic.
Google and the other search engines love valuable and unique content as it means they can present their users with good and informative content. As such, creating a content-rich site is the perfect way to sustain your organic traffic. It is also a great way to attract long-tail keyword searches.
There are many ways to create and present content to your customers. A popular way of doing this is in the form of a blog.
A blog is a sort of diary, where you can add various entries called “Posts” to share your opinions. Below are some of the free platforms available to create your blog.
Of the above three platforms, WordPress is the only one that can be installed and hosted on your server, as well as the website. We recommend using WordPress as it is easy to use and can be hosted with your site using the same URL, meaning the website will benefit from the fresh content it receives.
The other advantage of using WordPress is that it can be made to resemble your existing site, which gives a sense of continuity to your users.
A blog is a fantastic and easy way to:
- Keep your customers updated about your products.
- Give them more information about the services you offer.
- Provide a platform for your customers to share their opinions
and connect with you.
This not only benefits your customers but you can also try to target new keywords found via Google’s keyword and analytic tools.
It is simple to say “write a blog because it helps your site and the customers” – but it is easier said than done!
It is no easy task to come up with ideas to write about. Here at teclan we are always brainstorming to come up with marketing ideas for our digital marketing clients. Some of our ideas can apply to almost all businesses, so let us share a few with you here:
- Compile guides and tutorials on how best to use your products or services, providing images or videos where possible.
- Explain and predict trends in your industry.
- Answer questions that customers have asked you face-to face, by phone or by email. Example: Create a Knowledge base.
- Review your products or recently added products. Explain their benefits and add any ‘How-To’s’ etc.
- List reviews/testimonials of your products/services. Your prospective customers are shopping around and looking for reviews, and this will help boost their confidence in your products or services.
- Provide in-depth replies to comments made in response to your existing content.
Still finding it difficult? Give us a call on 01463 898043 and we can discuss how our digital marketing team can help your business.
In my next post I will explain how you can protect your site from Google’s algorithms and penalties.